Sunday, April 25, 2010

top secret diy moss



To complete my diy bench I want to grow moss on the sides of the cylinder blocks. I've been researching recipes to grow your own moss and found recipes that run the gamut of 2 to 7 ingredients. I wanted to only use what I have on hand and the moss + beer + sugar formula sounded like a winner until I realized we don't keep sugar in the house! Maybe brown rice syrup will work?

diy moss recipe
I found this recipe here.

Things you will need: Handful Mosses, One Can Beer, Plastic Spoons, Spatulas, 1/2 teaspoon sugars

Step 1: Put a handful of the moss you want to grow into a blender.
Step 2: Add 1/2 tsp. sugar and one can of beer (the cheapest brand). You can substitute buttermilk for beer if you want.
Step 3: Blend just long enough to mix the ingredients and break down the moss. 
Step 4: Spread the soupy mixture with a spatula or paint brush over the ground or rocks where you want the moss to grow.

Moss prefers a cool, dark area. It can take 3-6 weeks to grow the moss according to what I have read.

I am executing my top secret experiment with maple syrup, my roommate's beer and my roommate's blender. Oops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment