Saturday, May 15, 2010

square rectangle

I finally had some time to plant seeds in my raised bed today! I am attempting to use a method of gardening recommended to me by our friend Joey, who is an urban gardener in Los Angeles. I admit I didn't get the book, but if you go online to Square Foot Gardening Foundation they have a comprehensive tutorial right on their website. Joey uses this method and swears by it... I guessed on the planting by reading the back of the seed packets and using the online tutorial. I also used less seeds. Now that I am a graduated novice, I realize using 3-4 seeds in every hole is unnecessary. The Square Foot method says to use 1 seed... I used 1-2 seeds but should have to thin less with this method. As you can see, I also do not have a square box, but I like to break the rules a little.

I used twine to mark off my square feet, hammering nails in to tie the twine to the side. I hammered the nails in halfway and then hammered them up to bend the nail in half. This way, the twine shouldn't slid off the nail. 

Pictured above: Making measurements; tying off the twine; diy Garden Marker for Summerlong Basil; Sowing seeds; Atomic Red carrot seeds - you can see little flecks of pink on the seed.

3 comments:

  1. boom! i hope mel's methods treat you well. i just recently got organic fertilizer to add to the mix even though Mel says no need. Just curious to see what it does. hope it works well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz shimi... is this what you did today? I missed you little miss. Happy weekend! See you tomorrow, the seeds look hopeful. Cant wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got some sea weed fertilizer... wonder what Mel would say...

    ReplyDelete