Tuesday, May 18, 2010

trial, error and maggies

no maggies please
I will spare your eyes a photo to prove this, but I have a maggie infestation in my compost pile. EEEEWWWWWW!!! (I'm going to say maggie because maggots just make my skin craaaaawl. I had an unfortunate experience with rotting meat in a garbage can once, and I'm a veg so it was traumatic to say the least.)

Luckily, I have my new handy, dandy The Urban Homestead book (my new favorite go-to gardening book) and it tells me I don't have enough "brown" in my compost and it's probably too wet. So, I need to add some shredded paper/newspaper - aka things in my recycle and mix it up really good to cover the maggies. GAG. 

Now, instead of ignoring my compost and keeping multiple compost buckets on my porch, I can fix this little problem. I thinking a worm bin on my porch would be a nice addition...

No comments:

Post a Comment